Saturday 20 December 2014

Travelling Rituals

This time I am not time travelling and not -  this time - travelling abroad but, although I tell myself  will not be writing on this Christmas week away  I still pack my writer's kit and will still look for a place to lay it out.

I identify with Deborah Levey who puts it well in her excellent  Things I Don't Want to Know. Here she is settling in  unpacking for a solitary sojourn in the hills of Majorca. -

'I started to perform the familiar rituals of travelling alone, as I had so often in my life; untangling wires and precariously plugging in the European adaptor with two pins. switching on my computer, charging up my mobile, arranging on the small writing desk the two books and the one notebook I had brought with me...'

If you have not read this book yet you are in for a great treat. Hers is a life worth writing about. Listen to her talking on Avril's blog.

Reading her made me think about my six notebooks that  became the basis for my novel Journey to Moscow. You can read about them HERE I think I will pack the lot. 

Despite not being alone and having wonderful food and great books in fine company suspect I could still get that itch to write, couldn't I?




You might like this post on notebooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...